Pastry cream is a silky custard with rich vanilla flavor and golden color from egg yolks. this cream is a great choice for pies and cakes filling. you can add this cream to almost every pastry and it works like magic!Jump to Recipe
Pastry cream is a great choice for your desserts fillings. it’s so easy to make and it lasts a good time (if it lasts!!!). just chill it over night or if your in a hurry, an hour would be fine too.
Usually i bake cakes or make meringue based goods therefore i have a lot of leftover yolks. and guess what? they all turn into my lovely pastry cream!
A master recipe
use this recipe for base of your creams. try adding different flavors and extracts. you could even melt some chocolate for silky chocolate filling. or chop some nuts, specially the green pistachio bites will taste great with the vanilla flavor. Play with flavors. i tried saffron and it turned out AMAZING!
Check out my Shop page to see the equipment i use for baking!
Handle the consistency
Honestly, i make this cream to use it as my morning and breakfast spread :)).
If you want you use it as a filler for eclairs or cream puffs, beat the cream a little, then add 1/3 or half a cup of whipped cream to lighten it and make it more pipe-able. also, it would’t be so heavy while eating a huge amount of it.
Tips and Tricks
- The sweetness is on your hands. you can vary the amount of sugar from 1 tbsp to half a cup.
- Using a higher fat content milk will result in a richer cream, but don’t use heavy cream instead of milk.
- You don’t necessary need an electric mixer to beat the eggs. using a hand mixer or whisk works well, too.
- Make sure you temper the eggs before adding all of the hot milk by drizzling it over the mixture first.
- Do not stop stirring while the mixture is over heat! otherwise, the cream will be burn.
- You can use a sieve before adding the cream to a bowl if there are any lumps and reach a silkier texture but it’s not mandatory.
Don’t forget to check my YouTube channel for the recipes videos!
- 6 Large Egg yolks
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1.5 Cup Milk
- ⅓ Cup Corn starch
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Warm the milk with vanilla in a sauce pan.
- Mix egg yolks with sugar & salt and beat them until fluffy & lemony in color.
- Temper the egg yolks by gradually adding the warm milk and whisking it.
- Add the cornstarch, mix well and return into a sauce pan in medium heat. Keep stirring until it thickens. Gradually it starts to thickening.
- Transform the cream to a bowl, cover it with a plastic wrap and chill overnight in fridge.
Have more questions about the recipe? Have you tried these? Leave a comment below and let me know!