These cup cakes are so moist and delicious, while tasting so chocolaty with a twist of banana flavor! the sweetness, moisture and crumb of these cupcakes will make you bake them right now!Jump to Recipe
Chocolate with a twist!
These cup cakes won’t taste like any other ordinary chocolate cup cake. when you take a bite, first there is a very rich chocolate flavor, then you sense the tenderness and moisture of it, and at last there is an amazing twist of banana flavor hidden at them! the banana flavor is not so strong to prevent the chocolate flavor from showing, but it’s just enough to provide the moisture and a simple taste to it. also, the natural sweetness at banana will help to maintain the sweetness of cup cakes while using less sugar.
Which banana to chose?
Any type of banana will work, but softer the better! you can use your leftover banana when its all browned or even turned black. it would be perfect! it’s soft so you can mix it more easily, also bananas tend to became more sweeter when they are ripe.
Cool tricks for bananas:
- If you have fresh, hard and yellow banana, just toss them in the oven at 180C for 10 minutes until their skin is black. don’t worry, the heat will help the bananas to ripe!
- If you don’t have fresh or leftover banana, or you want to bake this cake another time, chop the bananas and put them into a zip lock bag and put them in the freezer. freezing the bananas is the best way to preserve them for a longer period of time.
Choosing different flavors
While vanilla extract is the classic flavor of almost every cupcake, you can add more flavors too. try a teaspoon of espresso powder to brighten the chocolate flavor.
want to be brave? add cinnamon, all spice, cloves, or even pumpkin spice! these spices will give your cup cake a nice kick!
Also adding any other extract that you think goes well with the banana or chocolate flavor is good too. i have tried coconut extract along with some shredded coconut and it turned out great!
Can i substitute any of the ingredients?
Yes you can! this recipe is so versatile you can substitute a lot of things such as:
- Adding yogurt or sour cream will provide extra tenderness.
- Substitute the white sugar with brown sugar or choose half of each.
- Add an extra half banana, although this will lead to more banana flavor.
- Don’t over-bake the cup cakes.
- Weigh and sift flour! Adding too much is going to make a bready, dense cup cake.
- You can omit the chocolate powder and substitute it with regular flour for normal banana cup cakes.
- Butter helps you get a really nice crumb and nutty flavor. but you can use coconut oil or even veggie oil instead.
- Try to use browned butter instead of regular butter, ITS AMAZING!
- Do not over mix the batter if you want the cup cakes to stay moist!
- Use room temperature and fresh ingredients for the best results.
- High quality cocoa powder is very important for the best and deep chocolate flavor.
- Adding chocolate chips will lead to an amazing double chocolate cup cake!
- Try to add some caramel toffee or peanut butter for a surprise flavor!
- Adding chopped nuts, raisin, pecans, shredded coconut and… is a great way to customize these cup cakes!
Chocolate banana cup cakes
- 1 ¼ Cup Cake Flour
- ⅓ Cup Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 5½ tbsp Melted butter
- ¼ Yogurt Plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large Eggs
- 1½ Cup Mashed banana About 3 medium
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ½ tsp Espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 375F. Add cupcake papers to your cup cake pan.
- Mash your bananas in a small bowl.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder into a medium sized bowl. Whisk together then set aside.
- Add melted butter, yogurt, eggs and espresso powder to the mashed bananas. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients until fully combined.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 375F then reduce oven temp to 350 F and continue baking for another 18 minutes or until the centers are springy to the touch.
- Remove them from the baking try, let cool and enjoy!
- You can substitute the yogurt will butter milk, sour cream or just by adding one tablespoon of lemon juice or any vinegar to same amount of milk.
- You can substitute the white sugar with brown sugar for more depth of flavor, or use half of each.
- Try browned butter for an amazing nutty flavor!
- Add any kind of chopped nuts that you like.
Have more questions about the recipe? Have you tried these? Leave a comment below and let me know!