These cupcakes are super fluffy and soft that you’ll love them! they came together so easy and fast, too.
Making fluffy and jiggly cupcake as the ones we saw in commercials and videos isn’t that hard or complicated. just follow some steps, use fresh ingredients and you are good to go! i made them plain using only vanilla extract, but you are free to use any other flavorings, extracts or toppings that you like.Jump to Recipe
Prepare the meringue base
This cupcakes are baked without any chemical rising agents like baking soda or baking powder. but all the air is provided from a meringue base. beating egg whites until they reach stiff peak is the key to the fluffiness of these cupcakes. here are some key points before making the meringue:
- Wipe both the mixing bowl and your whisk with an acid such as vinegar or lemon juice to clear all of the remained fat residue; the smallest amount of fat will ruin the meringue.
- Use a glass bowl, since a plastic bowl will still have some fat residue inside it.
- Make sure there is no egg yolk in your whites.
- I’ts better to use fresh, room temperature egg whites. in order to prevent any yolk to get into your white, separate them when eggs are cold. then left the whites to stay in room temperature.
- Gently drizzle the sugar. adding the sugar all at once will deflate the air bubbles.
Do not over mix the batter
While mixing the oil, sugar, milk and flour in a pan over medium heat, make sure that you are mixing them just until combined. we don’t want the gluten in flour to be activated by over mixing the flour.
Also, turn off the heat before adding the egg yolks and start whisking immediately so that the egg yolks wont bake and turn into scrambled eggs!
While mixing with the meringue, lighten the batter by adding some of the meringue to it. then, fold the meringue very gently to prevent any air bubbles from deflating.
Using water bath will lead to fluffy cupcakes but i’ts not the easiest or the most convenient way for a lot of people. therefore, i do 2 dual temperature method. do not forget that these cupcakes are mostly air bubbles from the meringue and require a small amount of flour, compared to other types of cupcakes.
- First, start baking at 170 degrees centigrade for 20 minutes. at this step, the initial rising will happen.
- Second, lower the heat to 50 degrees centigrade and bake them for another 10 minutes. this additional baking will make sure that the centers of cup cakes are done.
Don’t forget to check my YouTube channel for the recipes videos!
Easy Japanese fluffy cupcakes
- 3 Large Egg whites Fresh, room temperature
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Cream of tartar or use lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 6 tbsp Cake flour
- 3 large Egg yolks
- 1 pinch Salt
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees centigrade.
- Wipe both your mixing bowl and whisk with vinegar or lemon juice for cleaning fat residues.
- Beat the egg whites until they are fluffy. add cream of tartar. when they turn white, start drizzling the sugar gently and slowly. then add the vanilla extract.
- Put a pan over medium heat. add milk, oil, sugar, salt and flour and mix just until combined.
- Turn off the heat, add egg yolks and mix until smooth.
- Try to lighten the batter by adding some of the meringue. then, gently fold the batter into egg whites using a spatula. mix until i'ts a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into cupcake thins. bake them for 20 minutes in 170C and then lower the heat to 50C for 10 minutes. do not use a toothpick to check the cupcakes. it will deflate them. just touch the top, if i'ts springy, i'ts done.
- Let them cool completely before serving. Enjoy!