These chicken rolls are a new spin to the normal recipe! they are so tender and crispy, without being deep fried.Jump to Recipe
Chicken rolls are one of the most versatile recipes to choose. you can add almost any desired filling to them and they are still awesome! for this recipe, i chose a mild garlicky flavor with moist chicken breasts, along with crisped filo (yofka) sheets that were glazed with browned butter to give them a nutty finish.
For the filling, i used a combination of sweet and tangy flavors. adding sweet boiled corns with carrot makes a nice texture along with chicken bites, bell pepper, mashed potato and the taste of garlic.
Using the right wrap
In my opinion, there is absolutely no limit to chose a wrap for your rolls. you can use almost any ready made store bought wrap and it’s fine. just make sure that you’ve defrosted it at least 2 hours before using it. also, make sure that your wraps have enough moisture to avoid breaking, by brushing some water.
The naughty butter
You are not gonna believe the amazing naughty taste of brushing browned butter on top of rolls until you taste it! it’s AMAZING. for making the brown butter, just add 2-3 tbsp of regular unsalted butter to a steel nonstick pan over medium high heat.
let it melt completely before stirring it. after a white foam from milk proteins have performed on top of the melted butter, stir the butter gradually using a spatula or just by turning and moving the pan.
Do this until all of the milk proteins have turned into a golden brownish color. turn off the pan immediately, and transform the butter to another bowl to cool down. remember, we want golden browned butter not burnt butter!
For the dip, i use a simple yet healthy combination. it includes Greek or any plain yogurt, lemon zest and lemon juice along with some apple cider vinegar, my favorite spices and a little olive oil.
Check out my Shop page to see the equipment i use for baking!
How to wrap them to avoid fall-outs
Just putting the filling in the middle of wraps and rolling them will lead to open edges and the risk of fallout during baking. also, dry wraps will break while being rolled. here i used ready made filo or yofka wraps, cut into long triangle.
- Gently brush the wraps using water to maintain the moisture.
- Add about 1 full tablespoon of the filling in the center, leaving a 1 inch gap from the bottom of wrap.
- Fold the about 1.5 inch of each sides and secure them to the bottom.
- Fold the bottom of wrap on the sides.
- Then gently roll them until you reach the tip of triangle.
- Brush a little more water so that it acts like a glue. then secure the top.
The finishing touch
You can brush them right before baking, or brush them now and keep them into freezer or fridge for later use. since it’s butter not egg, it will melt again when returned to the oven.
Craving for a dessert? Check these out:
Chicken spring rolls
- 1 Small Chicken Breast
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Large Carrot
- 1 Small Bell Pepper
- ½ Cup Boiled Sweet Corn
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 tsp Dried or fresh Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried or fresh Rosemary
- 1 pinch Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil for frying
- ½ tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried mint
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 12 Triangle Yofka/ Filo/ Spring roll wraps
- 1 Cup Water For brushing the wraps
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp Zest of a lemon
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Pinch Salt & Pepper
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Cajun Seasoning
- ½ tsp Dried thyme
- ½ tsp Dried mint
- Mince the garlic, then chop the onion into small pieces and put them into a hot pan with oil.
- After garlic and onion are golden brown, chop the carrot and bell pepper into the size of corn kernels, and add them to the pan.
- Finely chop or mince the chicken breast and add it to the pan with other ingredients. after the chicken is baked, add the spices and mix well.
- At the final step, add the corns and turn of the heat. pour the shredded cheese and let it melt with the heat. let the filling cool a little before assembling.
- Make sure that the wraps are defrosted at least 2 hours before using.
- Open one wrap gently, brush it with water and put about a full tbsp of the filling into the middle of wrap. fold it according to the instructions above in the post.
- Preheat your oven to 180 C.
- add 2-3 tbsp of unsalted butter to a steel nonstick pan over medium high heat.
- let it melt completely before stirring it. after a white foam from milk proteins have performed on top of the melted butter, stir the butter gradually using a spatula or just by turning and moving the pan.
- Do this until all of the milk proteins have turned into a golden brownish color. turn off the pan immediately, and transform the butter to another bowl to cool down.
- Transform the rolls into a baking tray. gently spray the tray with non stick spray.
- Brush the rolls with browned butter all the way through.
- Put the into the oven for 15 minutes. you can turn on the broil for the last 3-5 minutes for more crispy tops. Enjoy!
Have more questions about the recipe? Have you tried these? Leave a comment below and let me know!